The Specialist Physiotherapist:
- Is a highly experienced physiotherapist who assesses patients with a new presentation or recurrence of strains, sprains, joint or muscle pain or stiffness.
Is more experienced than a GP in managing orthopaedic problems
- Provides rapid access to the most appropriate clinician for the patient’s problem
- There will be a choice of “On the day or “Prebookable” (aiming for a maximum 10-day wait).
- Appointments will be 20 minutes.
- Patients can be signposted by receptionists or can choose to book with the physiotherapist themselves.
- GPs may signpost to the physiotherapist via eConsultations or telephone consultations.
If the physiotherapist advises that a prescription is appropriate, they will request this via a GP or practice pharmacist at the end of surgery.
Fit notes (Med3)
If it is appropriate for a Med3 to be issued, the request will be processed at the end of surgery.